Are socks burglary intent tools ?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Pompano Beach, FL

I read that because socks are items of personal apparel and not burglary tools

1. Howard M Lewis

Pro

5

8

Answered . My initial response to your question would be "no", That being said, you would need to look to the police report to see how the police are suggesting that the socks were used as "burglarious tools." I strongly suggest that you contact local counsel to review the police report. He/she can advise you as to defenses you might have. Good luck.

2. Joshua Sachs

5

Answered . Not inherently so, but then nothing really is except perhaps the combination of clay dams and nitroglycerin. But almost anything can be a burglary tool if it is used as such. But that is a practical definition, not a legal one.

3. Chad Piotrowski

3

Answered . Here's the statute:
    810.06 Possession of burglary tools.
    Whoever has in his or her possession any tool, machine, or implement with intent to use the same, or allow the same to be used, to commit any burglary or trespass shall be guilty of a felony of the third degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084.

Perhaps if the socks were worn on a person's hands to conceal fingerprints in furtherance of the crime the socks could be considered burglary tools. I guess you have to ask yourself how were the socks used and were they used to help commit the crime.

This does not form an attorney-client relationship. This is for informational purposes only.