Are school's allowed to discipline a student for PDA based on sexual orientation?

Painesville, OH |
Filed under: Education law

My much younger sister and "friend" shared a "peck" on the lips as one was getting on the bus after school. The principal pulled aside and said that it was inappropriate behavior and there was going to be consequences the following day. My sister and the friend both recieved detentions, but were not allowed to serve them at the same time, and they were both the only kids in either of the detentions for PDA. I find it VERY hard to believe that they were/are the only kids in the entire school that week who partook in PDA. I was in school a little over 10 years ago, and clearly remember classmates sharing much more intimate moments then pecks on the mouth in the hallway between classes! I feel something should be brought to the school's attention for this obvious biased discipline.

This question does not have enough facts. How old were the girls? How does the district define PDA? Has anyone collected statistics of PDA enforcements in district schools? How was it collected?

Until one can demonstrate disparate treatment there is nothing to argue about, if the rule is in place and depending on how it is constructed.

This answer contains information intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above and may be protected by attorney-client privilege or work product doctorine. However, the mere receipt of this answer, alone, is not sufficient to create an attorney-client relationship. If the reader of this is not the intended recipient or the employee or agent responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient, any dissemination, publication or copying of this answerer is strictly prohibited. The sender does not accept any responsibility for any loss, disruption or damage to your data or computer system that may occur while using data contained in, or transmitted with, this answer. Should the reader have any questions please feel free to contact Attorney Kotler at or 330-777-0065 Thank you and please indicate if you found this answer and / or the link(s) helpful.

Education law topics

Recommended articles about Education law