Are rollover accidents really the safest accidents to be in?

Asked about 1 year ago - Phoenix, AZ

My attorney has told me that rollover accidents are the safest accident to be in but I've not been able to find anything proving this statement. In fact, all I've found is that rollover accidents are the deadliest of accidents.

1. Jonathan Craig Reed

Pro

11

Answered . Of course not. They can be especially deadly for an unbelted occupant. The roof can cave in. Usually the victims are subject to great force at the vehicle rolls.

2. Farid Yaghoubtil

10

Answered . You should speak to your attorney to clarify this statement, as rollover accidents are commonly some of the most dangerous types of motor vehicle accidents. Certainly, any type of accident is potentially dangerous, but rollovers are particularly harmfrul.

Farid Yaghoubtil is an attorney at Downtown L.A. Law Group - 1850 E. 15th St., Los Angeles, CA 90021. (855)385-2529.
  3. Kevin Coluccio

8

Answered . Ask your attorney the basis for his statement.

4. Scott J. Corwin

Pro

8

Answered . You may have misunderstood your attorney, or your attorney has a weird sense of april fools day humor. I would recommend that you ask your attorney about that statement the next time you talk.

Pro

8

Answered . Only ones in convertibles. No, this is complete nonsense. Retain a new lawyer.

6. Matthew C Simon

Pro

8

Answered . I never heard such a thing. Discuss again with your attorney. Maybe it was an April Fools Day joke.

7. Paul E Knost

6

Answered . Maybe he has a dry sense of humor and he was just kidding. It's hard to imagine that anyone would consider a rollover accident to be the "safest" to be in. Give him the benefit of the doubt and talk to him. It was likely just a poorly timed joke.

8. Judd S Nemiro

Pro

4

Answered . That statement cannot be true, as a tiny fender bender is probably the "safest" accident to be in. When you compare the injuries in a rollover to the injuries in a tiny fender bender (mostly soft tissue), it would be clear that the severity of injuries in rollover accidents are much greater.

9. Howard Robert Roitman

Pro

4

Answered . By far the deadliest risk facing SUV, minivan, and truck occupants is a rollover accident. According to NHTSA (National Highway Traffic Safety Administration), more than 280,000 rollover accidents are reported each year, claiming more than 10,000 lives annually.
    In 2003, 35.7 percent of fatal SUV crashes resulted in a rollover. That same year just 15.8 of fatal passenger car accidents resulted in a rollover. What this statistic points out is the fact that SUVs are much more likely to rollover in a serious accidents. Compounding the issue is the fact that SUVs often carry heavy loads with make them even more top-heavy and thus are more likely to be involved in rollover accidents.

10. Matthew Charles Price

Pro

4

Answered . This does not make sense to me. Most of my prior and current auto accident death cases involve a roll-over with a partial or full ejection. Rollovers are one of the most dangerous types of accident. I am guessing your attorney either misspoke or was misunderstood. I suggest you seek further advice and clarification.

11. Christopher Steven Hoffmann

4

Answered . I think all the attorneys on this forum would agree that injuries from rollover accidents can be severe and result in fatalities. In most instances, the reason for the rollover (pre-rollover impact) is the main contributor to the injury or what the car hits after (post-rollover impact). Crush injuries, ejections, loss of limbs, brain injuries, and spinal fractures are not uncommon in a rollover. Safest? No such thing!