Are rollover accidents really the safest accidents to be in?

Phoenix, AZ |

My attorney has told me that rollover accidents are the safest accident to be in but I've not been able to find anything proving this statement. In fact, all I've found is that rollover accidents are the deadliest of accidents.

Ask your attorney the basis for his statement.

He stated that I couldn't adequately prove I was injured by the accident, especially in the case of a rollover as, and I quote, 'they are considered to be the safest accident one can be in'.

Kevin Coluccio

Kevin Coluccio

Again - ask him the reason for his comment.

I told him I could prove I was injured as I have a previous mri showing I had no previous injury. My mri after the accident showed a permanent back injury & the fact that it was a rollover should be proof enough. Please keep in mind that the back injury wasn't the only damage sustained in the accident. He stated there was no way they could prove this was the result of the accident. I then reiterated that this was a rollover and that proving that my injury was a result of a rollover should be easy to do as it was a very violent accident. He then stated that there would be no way to prove that, in fact, it would be very difficult because rollovers are the safest accident one can be in. I was shocked when he told me that, so much that I looked it up as I was very surprised by his statement. I found no evidence to support his claim. I said that the paramedics who responded to the accident were shocked that we weren't injured worse and that rollover accidents usually have far worse results. He became argumentative and aggressive. He said a jury of my peers would never rule in my favor because it was a rollover. He refuses to litigate & said I need to settle as I will never win in court and will end up owing them & the defendant's insurance company money. I felt very threatened, betrayed & pushed to accept something that seems completely wrong. I'm not sure if I even have any other options at this point due to the contract I signed at the start of treatment. I know I am pretty much stuck & will have to chalk this up to a learning experience, I just can't help but to feel that there is a serious injustice to this. I won't even be able to pay off the vehicle that was totaled (at no fault of my own) with the amount that I will get out of the settlement... Not to mention the lifelong treatment both my passenger and myself will have to endure.

Of course not. They can be especially deadly for an unbelted occupant. The roof can cave in. Usually the victims are subject to great force at the vehicle rolls.

You should speak to your attorney to clarify this statement, as rollover accidents are commonly some of the most dangerous types of motor vehicle accidents. Certainly, any type of accident is potentially dangerous, but rollovers are particularly harmfrul.

Farid Yaghoubtil is an attorney at Downtown L.A. Law Group - 1850 E. 15th St., Los Angeles, CA 90021. (855)385-2529.

You may have misunderstood your attorney, or your attorney has a weird sense of april fools day humor. I would recommend that you ask your attorney about that statement the next time you talk.

That's one of my issues as well... They have withheld vital information. Statues of limitations is coming up & I've only spoken to him four times in two years. I mainly dealt with his assistant and even then I didn't get all the information pertaining to my case. I was told I didn't have enough evidence & if anything I wouldn't get a reasonable settlement as rollover accidents are deemed to be the safest accident one can be involved in, therefore a jury of my peers would never rule in my favor.

Only ones in convertibles. No, this is complete nonsense. Retain a new lawyer.

How do I go about doing that when I'm in a legally binding contract?

I never heard such a thing. Discuss again with your attorney. Maybe it was an April Fools Day joke.

The above is general information only and is not legal advice. The information provided does not form an attorney-client relationship, and should not be relied upon to take or refrain from taking any action. I am not your attorney until we sign a retainer agreement.

I can assure you that this was no April Fool's Day joke. He was very serious and actually stated that was a reason why I had to settle for a lower amount.

Matthew C Simon

Matthew C Simon

Your attorney may know more facts than I am aware of, but like I said, I never heard of such a thing. Good luck.

Maybe he has a dry sense of humor and he was just kidding. It's hard to imagine that anyone would consider a rollover accident to be the "safest" to be in. Give him the benefit of the doubt and talk to him. It was likely just a poorly timed joke.

NONE OF THE INFORMATION PROVIDED HERE IS MEANT AS, NOR INTENDED AS LEGAL ADVICE. THE LAW IS CONSTANTLY CHANGING AND INFORMATION DISCUSSED IN THIS BLOG CAN BECOME OUT-DATED WITH THE PASSAGE OF TIME. IF YOU HAVE A LEGAL ISSUE AND NEED LEGAL ADVICE, CALL 623-936-1901 FOR A CONFIDENTIAL LEGAL CONSULTATION WITH AN ATTORNEY.

By far the deadliest risk facing SUV, minivan, and truck occupants is a rollover accident. According to NHTSA (National Highway Traffic Safety Administration), more than 280,000 rollover accidents are reported each year, claiming more than 10,000 lives annually.
In 2003, 35.7 percent of fatal SUV crashes resulted in a rollover. That same year just 15.8 of fatal passenger car accidents resulted in a rollover. What this statistic points out is the fact that SUVs are much more likely to rollover in a serious accidents. Compounding the issue is the fact that SUVs often carry heavy loads with make them even more top-heavy and thus are more likely to be involved in rollover accidents.

The materials available at this web site are for informational purposes only and not for the purpose of providing legal advice. You should contact your attorney to obtain advice with respect to any particular issue or problem. Use of and access to this Web site or any of the e-mail links contained within the site do not create an attorney-client relationship between Howard Roitman, Esq. and the user or browser. The opinions expressed at or through this site are the opinions of the individual author and may not reflect the opinions of the firm or any individual attorney.

Paul E Knost

Paul E Knost

Superb answer! Thanks for the links.

This does not make sense to me. Most of my prior and current auto accident death cases involve a roll-over with a partial or full ejection. Rollovers are one of the most dangerous types of accident. I am guessing your attorney either misspoke or was misunderstood. I suggest you seek further advice and clarification.

An attorney-client relationship is NOT created through the use of this website or by answering this particular post. Each claim is different and must be judged on its own merits.

I think all the attorneys on this forum would agree that injuries from rollover accidents can be severe and result in fatalities. In most instances, the reason for the rollover (pre-rollover impact) is the main contributor to the injury or what the car hits after (post-rollover impact). Crush injuries, ejections, loss of limbs, brain injuries, and spinal fractures are not uncommon in a rollover. Safest? No such thing!

That statement cannot be true, as a tiny fender bender is probably the "safest" accident to be in. When you compare the injuries in a rollover to the injuries in a tiny fender bender (mostly soft tissue), it would be clear that the severity of injuries in rollover accidents are much greater.

Information provided on this site does not constitute legal advice. Answers posted here are based on a very limited amount of information and are given without a conventional consultation. Information posted here should be valued accordingly. We offer free initial consultations that require completion of a questionnaire detailing your situation and a personal one-on-one attorney interview to provide qualified legal advice. The answers posted here might be completely different with more information.