Are retail stores allowed to ask for personal information when paying for products using cash?

Asked 9 months ago - Cupertino, CA

At Sears, I purchased $2 shoelaces with cash and I was required to give my first name, last name, email address and phone number before the cashier would sell them to me. I know it was required because before each item I asked if this information was necessary when paying by cash and she told me YES.

1. Scott Richard Kaufman

4

1

Answered . There are privacy laws in place re: certain info. Not sure if this info is covered but I think it is. NO way it's required...

2. Michael Charles Doland

1

Answered . Mr. Burdick is correct: it is for marketing purposes, not legal purposes.
    Years ago they required your drivers licence, phone number etc. if paying by check, but new laws now forbid it.

3. Bruce E. Burdick

Pro

2

Answered . Of course they can ask, and you are NOT required to give it. They want it to use for marketing purposes. If you say no, will they refuse to sell to you for cash? Not likely.