Are radar detectors legal in Illinois.

Chicago, IL |

Hello Stellar Solicitors,

I recently bought a used Lexus, that used to be a fleet vehicle, and I inoticed two strange lights on the dashboard. I looked through the owners manual and could find no mention of what the lights are for. However, after a lot of research I think I may have a N700/SW/SWL radar detector by a company called K40 Electronics.

Now, I'm kind of a slow driver, so I think I will turn off the detector as soon as I find the hidden control. However, my concern is if having this radar and laser detector installed could get me into trouble.

Radar detectors in private vehicles are legal in Illinois. That said, radar detectors are illegal in commercial vehicles under the Illinois Traffic Code (625 ILCS 5/12-714).

A radar/laser jamming device is illegal in Illinois (625 ILCS 5/12-613). I am not familiar with the type of device you describe. If it is a detector only you should be fine. If it is a jamming device, it is illegal.

Disclaimer: The information contained in this answer is not legal advice, does not establish an attorney-client relationship and is offered for informational purposes only. Individuals with questions or problems in any area of the law should consult a qualified attorney licensed to practice in the individual's jurisdiction.

In Illinois, radar detectors are only illegal in commercial vehicles under 625 ILCS 5/12-714. If you are operating a personal vehicle, you would not be subject to this statute. However, you must make sure that the model you specified is not a radar or laser jamming device. These devices are illegal in Illinois for all types of motor vehicles.

Detectors are legal. It is possible, though unlikely, that you have a radar or laser "jammer" which would be illegal.

You're OK in Illinois with a radar detector in a non-commercial vehicle. Just be careful if you do any interstate driving, checking with the laws of any state you may be traveling through.

If indeed you do have a K40 remote look for the jamming head on the license plate or in the front grill. If you have the heads you MUST go in and wire yourself and OFF switch so you can slow down and shut it off and let them clock your speed in states where laser jamming is illegal. I use mine all the time in IL and have no problems. Just be slight to moderate on the brakes then shut it down..