Are questions on this website protected by attorney-client privilege?

Saint Louis, MO |

I know that the identity of the people who ask questions on this site is confidential, but is it legally protected?

Not at all - there is no principled argument that you and I have an attorney-client relationship - in fact, most attorneys on this site go out of their way to make sure question askers understand that. If a court subpoena's this correspondence, Avvo will have no choice but to comply.

This answer is not a substitute for professional legal advice. This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship, nor is it a solicitation to offer legal advice. If you ignore this warning and convey confidential information in a private message or comment, there is no duty to keep that information confidential or forego representation adverse to your interests. Seek the advice of a licensed attorney in the appropriate jurisdiction before taking any action that may affect your rights. If you believe you have a claim against someone, consult an attorney immediately, otherwise there is a risk that the time allotted to bring your claim may expire.

Not to the slightest degree. There is NO client-attorney relationship. Most attorneys here and the general terms and method of AVVO make that very clear.

We do not have a client/attorney relationship until you make an appointment, we discuss your case face to face, I accept a retainer, and we explictly agree to enter into representation.

No. If fact, there is no attorney client relationship whatsoever established.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

Internet law topics

Recommended articles about Internet law