Are private owners in the fast food industry aloud to pay new employees less than minimum wage during a 90 day training period?

Asked over 1 year ago - Detroit, MI

MY 16 year old teenager was told she would be paid 5.50 for 90 days during her training period at a local Burger King

1. Jason Matthew Shinn

1

Answered . In addition to the correct information that Mr. Brinkmeier provided above, trainees are not considered to be employees under the applicable federal wage law (Fair Labor Standard Act) if certain conditions are satisfied. In regard to that federal wage law, it provides for a training wage of $4.25 per hour for new employees who are under 20 years of age for the first 90 days of employment.

2. James M. Osak

1

Answered . Yes trainees can be paid less.
    HOWEVER . . . this Burger King boss PROMISED $5.50/hour
    and reneged? There may be some issues with that. Report
    this boss to Burger King central (headquarters). Also consider
    filing a complaint with LARA (Lansing, MI) Wage Division.
    See: www.contingencyattorneymi.com
    Good luck!

3. Alan James Brinkmeier

2

Answered . Michigan

A training wage of $4.25 per hour may be paid to employees 16-19 years of age for the first 90 days of their training