Are police officers allowed to discuss your case with a member of the public?

England, AR |
Filed under: Civil rights

i have recently been notified that the police want to talk to me but the person who told me knew more than me are the police allowed to discuss any information about a case to a member of the public?

If police are investigating a suspected crime they not only may talk to anyone they desire, they have a duty to do so. You, on the other hand, have a constitutional right to remain silent and not to make any statements whatsoever and I advise you to do that.

This answer is offered for informational purposes only. It is not offered as, and does not constitute, legal advice. Laws vary widely from state to state. You should rely only on the advice given to you during a personal consultation by a local attorney who is thoroughly familiar with state laws and the area of practice in which your concern lies.

The police have a right to investigate and discuss the case with any adult party they feel necessary to get at the truth of the matter in order to determine if a crime has been committed. They can reveal whatever facts are necessary to that end. However, that does not give them an unlimited license to invade privacy, liable or defame a person. If it is clearly not necessary to advertise very private information that serves no other purpose than embarrassing or humiliating a party, then one may have a cause of action. The police do have immunity in such matters, but it is qualified in that they cannot violate people's civil rights in the process. There is often a fine line as what is necessary and what is not, with the benefit of the doubt usually given to the officer. That is not always the case, though, and if the officer's conduct is egregious you should file a complaint and seek counsel from a qualified civil rights attorney.

Civil rights topics

Recommended articles about Civil rights