Are police allowed to curse at you, make fun of, or indirectly threaten you?

Asked about 2 years ago - Boca Raton, FL

Yesterday i was issued an arrest as a MIP but the cops we're extremely rude. They were dropping F-bombs, insinuating that i was gay based on how i answered one of their questions, and were threatening that if i tried to run i would "get hurt" and "it would be very painful" for me.

Additional information

they also did state that i am under arrest but i was never read my Miranda Rights. Is any of this legal?

Attorney answers (4)

  1. John Skyler Riordan

    Contributor Level 17


    Lawyers agree

    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . You need an attorney. Not having been your Miranda Rights may or may not be important. If you were not questioned after your arrest, Miranda doesn't apply. MIP can greatly impact your future. Boca cops are notorious for the behavior you described, but it may or may not have been improper. An experienced attorney must review and evaluate the case for you.

    Feel free to call my office for a free consultation.

    --John S. Riordan, Esq.
    West Palm Beach, FL
    (561) 650-8291

    John S. Riordan, Esq., RIORDAN & HERMAN, PL., West Palm Beach, FL, (561) 650-8291. Mr. Riordan is a former Palm... more
  2. Michael James Orlando

    Contributor Level 11


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Law enforcement officers are not supposed to do any of the things that you described as happening to you. Unfortunately, some think they can get away with it because it's their word against yours. Fortunately with cell phones and video cameras all over the place some officers have recently been caught on camera saying and doing inappropriate things that later get them either reprimanded, fired or in some cases arrested themselves. Make sure you have a lawyer who is willing to examine all the issues in your case including the way you were treated.

    Without reviewing all the facts and evidence, it is not possible to give a proper opinion regarding the liklihood... more
  3. Bryce Aric Fetter

    Contributor Level 15


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . A good attorney can use this to your advantage.

  4. Kenneth Brian Dion

    Contributor Level 3

    Answered . If you are charged with an offense, do not file anything at this point against the officer. You should wait until your case is over. Once your case is over and you neck is out of the noose, then you can file any complaints you have about the officer's conduct with internal affairs at the police department.
    Ken Dion, 561-835-9833

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

27,964 answers this week

3,100 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

27,964 answers this week

3,100 attorneys answering