Are parents responsible for legal lawyer fees for our18 Year old son until he is 21 Years old?

Florida, NY |

My son (18) got charged with a felony (graffiti spraying damage 1,100.-) and got referred to a legal aid. After talking to them we were told we are responsible for legal expenses until he is 21. Does that mean he can screw up and mess with the law and we have to pay up for it? Does not seem fair. What can he/we expect to happen going to court?

No you are not responsible for his legal fees. He is an adult.

Thank you so much, the legal aid lady wanted to know my income and if it is too high, there is a 50% chance that we, the parents, would get charged from the attorney office. If we do not tell her our income, only my son can talk to the lawyer but there is still a chance that we would be billed afterwards. This is what we were told. He just finished HS and has no job yet to support himself. I am so confused.

Yes-----

Joseph A. Lo Piccolo, Esq.
Immediate Past President, Criminal Courts Bar Association 11'-12'
Hession Bekoff & Lo Piccolo
1103 Stewart Ave, Suite 200
Garden City, NY 11530
516-408-3666 (o) / 516-408-3833 (f)
Jlopiccolo@hbclaw.net

I am a criminal defense attorney practicing in Nassau, Suffolk and New York City. The above information is not a substitution for a meeting whereas all potential legal issues can be discussed.

Benjamin J Lieberman

Benjamin J Lieberman

Why?

Your location says Florida, NY. Is this correct? In NY he would be considered an adult and you should not have to pay.