Are online wills and living wills accepted and are they legal ?

Asked over 1 year ago - Joplin, MO

in the state of missouri

1. Joseph Franklin Pippen Jr.

Pro

13

2

Answered . Yes-BUT
    Almost every will I have reviewed prepared from on a line documents has not
    been correctly prepared once I ask questions
    about what they want to achieve.
    Do yourself a favor and have an experienced estate planning attorney prepare the
    documents.

2. Charles Adam Shultz

12

1

Answered . my colleagues are both correct. While the documents will most likely be okay, they may not address you needs properly or completely. In addition, wills must be executed with proper formalities.

You really would be wise to have an estate planning attorney assist you. They can ask questions that you may not even realize are issues or thing you should consider.

3. Joseph Michael Pankowski Jr

11

1

Answered . Attorney Pippen is correct. An online Living Will form, which is provided by a recognized Missouri health care charity, is likely to be valid in Missouri. Furthermore, I'm sure there are "accepted and legal" will forms provided by internet sites that serve Missouri. With that said, as noted by Attorney Pippen, they will not necessarily accomplish what you wish with respect to your estate planning goals. Retain an experienced attorney, who will prepare your documents and make sure they are executed properly. Good luck to you.

4. Ethan M. Rush

8

Answered . These are very important legal documents. Do yourself a favor and have a competent attorney prepare them for you. It might be more expensive upfront, but you could be saving those you love a lot of expense and heartache in the long run. Good luck to you.

5. Kelly Scott Davis

Pro

8

Answered . Go ahead and use online forms. We attorneys make money fixing the problems online forms create. If on the other hand you want something that will address your needs and goals, then hire an attorney. Online forms are designed so that you can prepare them yourself, the only problem is that you may not know what questions to ask yourself to flush out the issues. Do you have a disabled family member? What about adopted or stepchildren? How do you want your grandchildren treated if their parent dies? Do you want the fruits of your life's work to go towards buying your son-in-law a new motorcycle? A good attorney will have the knowledge, skill, and experience to get responses out of you regarding your goals that you may never have considered. Peoples lives and families are complex and your loved ones deserve to have a well thought out estate plan.