Are online divorce services for uncontested divorces a good idea?

Asked over 5 years ago - Saint Paul, MN

I am preparing to file an uncontested divorce with one child in Minnesota and would like to do it without hiring an attorney. He will not have an attorney either. I found a website that says they will file for me for $249.99 - versus $1500 for a lawyer. Do lots of people file for divorce without a lawyer?

1. Carolyn Annette Elsey

1

2

Answered . Why on earth pay that much money for a website??? Below is a link to your county court's family court self-help service center. It looks like a terrific operation that will assist you in getting everything done. They could also help you if you need to ask to have the filing fee waived.

Try it first!

2. Jason Charles Kohlmeyer

Pro

Answered . Amen, Carolyn is spot on! If you have no assets and custody and parenting time will never be an issue, don't waste your money on the websites, just go to the link Carolyn provided.

Better yet, shop around for a lawyer and have them prepare the legal paperwork. That's what they do all day and are experts at it. Also, if they screw up you can always go after them for malpractice. Many family lawyers will do uncontested divorces on an hourly basis and it should only take 2-3 hours for a simple one.

Jason Kohlmeyer
    www.MankatoFamilyLaw.com