Are non competition contracts legal in North Carolina ?

Asked over 1 year ago - Greensboro, NC

If so, how do you know if a covenant not to compete is enforceable?

1. Kirk J. Angel

Pro

4

1

Answered . Yes, non competition agreements are lawful in North Carolina. However, there are several specific legal requirements that must be met for a non-compete to be enforceable. You should consult with an attorney if you have been presented with a non-compete agreement or if you have concerns about a non-compete that you previously signed.

2. Timothy Shawn Howard

3

Answered . They can be enforceable, depending upon the exact terms. You should speak with an attorney for more details.

Thanks,

T. Shawn Howard
    www.maginnislaw.com

3. Frank Anthony Natoli

3

Answered . Hi,

It is not really accurate to say that a non-compete can ever be illegal per se. It really comes down to whether the courts of any given jurisdiction see a reason to enforce it. In CA, for example, they really will never do so between employees and employers but may do so in say the sale of a business or between business partners ( I guess some would say that they are illegal in CA and NY is not far behind).

Most states, and I believe NC as well, will enforce these so long as they are reasonable regards to the scope of time and geographic limitation. What is reasonable really depends on a number of factors and the specifc circumstances.

Keep in mind as well that a non-compete is NOT the same thing as a non-disclosure or non-use of trade secrets or non-solicitation of clients; these are much more likely to be enforceable given the right conditions.

If you are concerened, I suggest you discuss your situation in private with a lawyer. I will link you to some general info on this topic and most of us here, including myself, offer a free phone consult.

Best regards,
    Frank
    Natoli-Lapin, LLC
    (see Disclaimer)