Are non competition clauses / non solicitation clauses enforceable in NJ

Asked almost 3 years ago - Edison, NJ

I signed a non compete clause, and a non solicitation agreement in my contract. How enforceable are these agreements, should I venture off on my own?

1. Cristian Michael Towers

Answered . The short answer is, it depends. Restrictive covenants are, traditionally, difficult to enforce. They are often considered to broad and restrictive. However, if well drafted and limited in scope, duration and geographical range, they CAN be enforced. It is case specific and your question is lacking sufficient detail. The more specific and limited the restriction, the more likely it will be deemed enforceable. The more broad and vague the restriction, the more likely it will be unenforceable. Hope this helps.

2. Erik Anderson

Pro

Answered . They can be enforced in NJ courts. The issue is whether the non compete clause is reasonable and not overly restrictive.