Are non competition clauses / non solicitation clauses enforceable in NJ

Edison, NJ |

I signed a non compete clause, and a non solicitation agreement in my contract. How enforceable are these agreements, should I venture off on my own?

The short answer is, it depends. Restrictive covenants are, traditionally, difficult to enforce. They are often considered to broad and restrictive. However, if well drafted and limited in scope, duration and geographical range, they CAN be enforced. It is case specific and your question is lacking sufficient detail. The more specific and limited the restriction, the more likely it will be deemed enforceable. The more broad and vague the restriction, the more likely it will be unenforceable. Hope this helps.

This response is for informational purposes only and not intended to be legal advice or in any way create a lawyer-client relationship. You should always speak directly with an attorney with any legal questions you may have.

They can be enforced in NJ courts. The issue is whether the non compete clause is reasonable and not overly restrictive.

DISCLAIMER: Please be advised that this post is not intended to constitute legal advice and is for informational purposes only. This posting in on way creates an attorney client relationship. You should contact an attorney to protect your interests.

Business topics