Are nanny cams legal in New York or invasion of privacy?

Asked almost 2 years ago - New York, NY

Is it legal to have a nanny/surveillance cam in my NYC apartment living room to make sure my baby as well as 9 and 12 year old are safe?

Is it an invasion of privacy to either my kids or my nanny since none of them know about the camera?

Also, wouldn't it be illegal if my childs diaper changes etc were inadvertently caught on the cam? You hear too many horror stories of innocent seeming parents getting arrested for "child pornography".

I don't want to take any chances here. Would like to know the risks before I install a cam.

1. Jayson Lutzky

Pro

Answered . Have the nanny consent in writing before installing the cameras. Avoids any legal problems. But you may lose your nanny.