Are my wife's parents at legal risk letting me live in their home and co-sponsor me while I'm an illegal immigrant?

I flew to the US early last year to visit my girlfriend with the intention to return, then we decided to get married. I've overstayed my allowed time on my Canadian passport (ended late last year) and now we're starting to file for the Adjustment of Status (I-485 and the whole package). My wife's parents are considering co-sponsoring with the I-864, but only if it leaves them legally "safe". They don't want to do anything that could put them in any questionable legal standing whatsoever. If I moved into their house after my allowed stay of six months expired, and they co-sponsor me, would they be technically breaking any laws, and what ramifications are associated with that? Thank you very much for your time and response!

San Antonio, TX -

Al De La Calle

Al De La Calle

Immigration Attorney - Greensboro, NC

You may be concerned with 8 USC § 1324 but because you're undergoing the legal process (presumably the I-130 Petition has been approved and you're in the process of AOS), you should be okay.

Alexander Joseph Segal

Alexander Joseph Segal

Immigration Attorney - New York, NY

Not really

J Charles Ferrari

J Charles Ferrari

Immigration Attorney - Los Angeles, CA

Affidavits of Support are contracts with the US government wherein the person who signed them agrees to reimbures the Federal government for the costs of certain means tested benefits, if the immigrant requires and is given those benefits. The US government can sue to obtain that reimbursement.

Affidavits of Support cannot be withdrawn once accepted by the government. They remain in effect until one of the following events take place:
1. The person for whom it was filed has legally worked for 40 quarters in the US.
2. The person for whom it was filed becomes a US citizen.
3. The person for whom it was filed permanently leaves the US.
4. The person for whom it was filed dies.
5. The person who submitted the Affidavit of Support dies.

Gen Kimura

Gen Kimura

Immigration Attorney - Houston, TX

Your wife's parent has to read the I-864 before they sign the form.

Alfredo Lozano

Alfredo Lozano

Immigration Attorney - San Antonio, TX

The probabilities of USCIS chasing your parents-in-law are very minimal. I have found San Antonio USCIS Officers to be common sense about cases. Improve your case by hiring counsel to help you and attend interview with you and wife.

www.IWantMyGreenCard.com