Are my wages exempt from garnishment?

Harlem, GA |
Filed under: Wage garnishment

I have a notice that is stating that my wages are to be garnished (I never knew a judgment was obtained but that is another story). I only make $8.24 an hour and I work between 32-38 hours a week, averaging 36 hours. I was reading online that if your income is not 30% over the federal minimum wage is not garnishable. Am I within this guideline. If I have 25% of my income taken, I will have nothing to live on. I tried talking to the collection agency and they will only stop the garnishment if I pay $100 immediately which I do not have.

What you read online was wrong. The percent for a garnishment is set by law, and essentially about 25% of your after tax income will be lost.

You need to treat this an emergency and see a lawyer first thing in the morning. There are two possibilities: (1) If there is a defect in the original case, you may be able to traverse the garnishment and seek to atack the judgment, or (2) you may bankrupt on the debt. (There also could be a defect in the garnishment papers or service to allow a traverse).

But unless you get a lawyer and do one of those things, they will be taking a quarter of your pay.

If you find this answer helpful, please mark it here on AVVO as helpful. In answering you, I am attempting to communicate general legal information and am not representing you (and am not your lawyer). Do feel free to call me at 404-768-3509 if you wish to discuss actual representation (the phone call also does not retain counsel; that requires an office visit and appropriate paperwork). In that a forum such as this provides me with limited details and doesn't allow me to review details and documents, it is possible that answers here, while meant to be helpful, may in some cases not be complete or accurate, and I highly recommend that you retain legal counsel rather than rely on the answers here. (You can also email my office at geaatl@msn.com . An email also does not retain my office, but can help you get an appointment set if you prefer not to call). I am happy to discuss possible representation with you. Any information in this communication is for discussion purposes only, and is not offered as legal advice. There is no right to rely on the information contained in this communication and no attorney-client relationship is formed. Nothing in my answer should be considered as tax-advice. To ensure compliance with IRS Circular 230, any U.S. federal tax advice provided in this communication is not intended or written to be used, and it cannot be used by the recipient or any other taxpayer (i) for the purpose of avoiding tax penalties that may be imposed on the recipient or any other taxpayer, or (ii) in promoting, marketing or recommending to another party a partnership or other entity, investment plan, arrangement or other transaction addressed herein. I am also required to advise you, if your question concerns bankruptcy, that the U.S. Congress has designated Ashman Law Office as a debt relief agency that can help people file bankruptcy.

The exempt amount is 30 times the minimum wage, or 30 x $7.25, which is $217.50. Above that, they can garnish, up to a maximum of 25% of your net pay. If you have a 36-hour week, that would be $296.64, which is above the exempt amount and leaves potentially 25% available for garnishment. The exact numbers will depend on what is taken out for taxes.

As discussed elsewhere, you could fight the garnishment on procedural grounds regarding a judgment which was obtained through invalid means. Of course, that might cost money for legal fees and might not be easy. It is possible that the wrong person was served with papers (that happens), or maybe you had a former roommate or relative accept service at a house you had already moved out of, or maybe there is some other reason service might have been invalid. However, many people don't understand the process and do remember getting served with papers but do not understand the process.