Are my civil rights being violated when I am receiving different treatment because of a prior employment position. ?

Asked over 1 year ago - Feeding Hills, MA

I was a former police officer. I resigned from the department and found myself on the other side of the law. I was arrested and am now serving my time. I have been told on many occasions I am not eligible for many of the same treatment because I am high profile because of who I was as a police officer and case too political.

1. George M. Megaloudis

1

Answered . We need some more info....

2. Rixon Charles Rafter III

1

Answered . No way to tell. You posted no facts that would give rise to any notion your rights were being trampled.

3. Christine C McCall

Pro

1

Answered . The law prohibits different treatment if it is based on your race gender, age, religion, etc. Prior employment as a law enforcement officer is not a protected category and it is not unlawful to treat you differently based on that classification. In many circumstances different treatment will be necessary for your own safety or that of others.

Another way to conceptualize the issue is that the law requires equal treatment for persons similarly situated. As a former law enforcement officer, you are not similarly situated to other incarcerated persons, so different treatment on that basis is not constitutionally impermissible.