Are my civil rights being violated when I am receiving different treatment because of a prior employment position. ?

Feeding Hills, MA |
Filed under: Civil rights

I was a former police officer. I resigned from the department and found myself on the other side of the law. I was arrested and am now serving my time. I have been told on many occasions I am not eligible for many of the same treatment because I am high profile because of who I was as a police officer and case too political.

No way to tell. You posted no facts that would give rise to any notion your rights were being trampled.

NOT LEGAL ADVICE. FOR EDUCATION AND INFORMATION ONLY. Mr. Rafter is licensed to practice in the Commonwealth of Virginia and the US Federal Courts in Virginia. There is no implied or actual attorney-client relationship arising from this education exchange. You should speak with an attorney licensed in your state, to whom you have provided all the facts before you take steps that may impact your legal rights. Mr. Rafter is under no obligation to answer subsequent emails or phone calls related to this matter.

We need some more info....

The answer provided is intended for general informational purposes only and should not be construed as a substitute for consultation with legal counsel for specific planning or legal advice. Neither the answer provided or communication through this web site are intended to provide legal or other advice or to create an attorney-client relationship.

The law prohibits different treatment if it is based on your race gender, age, religion, etc. Prior employment as a law enforcement officer is not a protected category and it is not unlawful to treat you differently based on that classification. In many circumstances different treatment will be necessary for your own safety or that of others.

Another way to conceptualize the issue is that the law requires equal treatment for persons similarly situated. As a former law enforcement officer, you are not similarly situated to other incarcerated persons, so different treatment on that basis is not constitutionally impermissible.

No legal advice here. READ THIS BEFORE you contact me! My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by joint execution of a written agreement for legal services. My law firm does not provide free consultations. Please do not call or write to me with a “few questions” that require me to analyze the specific facts of your history and your license application and prescribe for you how to get a State license. Send me an email to schedule a paid Consultation for that kind of information, direction, and assistance. My law firm presently accepts cases involving State and federal licenses and permits; discipline against State and federal licenses; and disciplinary and academic challenges to universities, colleges, boarding schools, and private schools. We take cases of wrongful termination or employment discrimination only if the claims involve peace officers, universities or colleges.

Civil rights topics