Are my children eligible with help from the Indian Child Welfare Act in a custody dispute if I'm registered with my tribe?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Colorado Springs, CO

Im registered with my tribe. I went through a divorce a year ago and now there have been some serious neglect issues with my ex. I can not afford a lawyer. Can ICWA help me with representaton?

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Answered . I would need more information to be able to respond more thoroughly. Are you involved with child protection services? If so, there is an obligation to notify the tribe in which you are registered. If the issue is that someone else is neglecting your children, I suspect you are on your own and will need to have an attorney. However, if your tribe has a legal services office, you certainly can consult with that office. Good luck to you.

Related Topics

Child custody

Child custody involves decisions about who will be responsible for a child, including parental rights, for both married and unmarried parents, and adoptions.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

31,486 answers this week

3,603 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

31,486 answers this week

3,603 attorneys answering