Are misdemeanors lowered to infractions in arraignments or at pre - trials ?

Asked over 1 year ago - Downey, CA

I received a misdemeanor for being after hours at a cemetery . I was cited , but the officer himself told me it is likely I can lower it down to an infraction due to my clean record . There was no fowl play being committed at the cemetery other than loitering . I am told that I should receive nothing more than a " slap on the hand " but I understand that it is more complex than just that . In hope that the DA lowers my misdemeanor to an infraction , when can I expect this decision to be made ? and if so should I plea guilty or no contest ? Any help would be greatly appreciated .

1. Maltaise E Cini

1

Best Answer

Answered . Once you plead guilty the deal is done. If you plead guilty/no contest to a misdemeanor than it is a misdemeanor you have plead to. The negotiating to have it reduced to an infraction must be done before you plead no contest/not guilty. The negotiating can be done at any the arraignment or at the pre-trial. You should consider hiring an attorney to do the negotiating for you.

2. Michael Kevin Cernyar

Pro

1

1

Answered . If you are looking to lower the misdemeanor to an infraction, you better lawyer up since it is likely to improve your chances. Many attorneys offer a free consultation. My advice is to speak to one long before your court date. May the attorney can get the matter rejected all together.

3. John M. Kaman

Pro

Answered . I am glad you were not accused of "fowl" play as messing with chickens will get the animal rightists in an uproar. Normally if a misdo is going to be lowered to an infraction that happens as some part of a negotiated plea at PTC.