Are Mexican divorces legal?

Antioch, CA |
Filed under: International divorce

My husgand filed and paid over 2 years ago and we are still not divorced. So I looked on line and found Mexican Divorces in less then 1 or 2 weeks. Are they legl?

1. Generally speaking, no. Under the "Uniform Divorce Recognition Act" (in California, Family Code 2090) if both you and your spouse are both bona fide residents of California at the time you attempt the "quickie Mexican divorce", it is of no force and effect in California.

As usual, something that looks too good to be true, probably isn't.

2. Divorces in Mexico require a formal procedure than in most cases require the presence of both spouses in the jurisdiction where the divorce is to be filed. Even more, foreigners (non-Mexicans) require a special authorization from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Mexico to file for it.

As an attorney licensed to practice in Mexico, I am not aware of any state offering any online option for divorces. You may want to double check before putting any money into it.

I agree with Ms. Gould-Saltman's opinion: if it looks to be to be true, chances are it isn't.