Are medical personal injury settlements (as a plaintiff) exempt in bankruptcy proceedings?

West Hurley, NY |
Filed under: Bankruptcy exemptions

I will answer "Yes" to the question - "Do you have any pending lawsuits" - but if a settlement is reached before or after discharge - will I lose this money. Note: I live in New York State.

Looks like NY has a personal injury exemption of $7500 plus you can exempt the amount of the settlement that represents lost wages. If your settlement is more than this, it can be taken even if you do not receive the settlement until after your bankruptcy is filed. Your claim, assuming it arose before the filing of the case is considered an asset that must be disclosed in your bankruptcy case.

LEGAL DISCLAIMER
Mr. Larkin is licensed to practice law in CA and is located in San Diego. His response here does not constitute legal advice and does not create an attorney/ client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter in question. Many times the questioner may leave out details which would make the reply unsuitable. Mr. Larkin strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in their own state to acquire more information about the specifics of their case.

I agree with Mr. Larkin that disclosure is required

NOTE: This answer is made available by the lawyer for educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you understand that there is no attorney client privilege between you and the attorney responding. This site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed professional attorney that practices in the subject practice discipline and with whom you have an atttorney client relationship along with all the privileges that relationship provides. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question.