Are landlords supposed to pay for the sewage portion on a water bill? I dont mind paying for my water usage

Portland, OR |

I was told the owner/ landlord is supposed to only bill the tenant for water and not change the tenant for the sewage installation and portion of the water bill? I am in oregon.

1. You may for the utilities you agree to pay in the lease agreement. If the lease agreement is silent, you might have to look to what you orally agreed to. And if that's silent, maybe there would be an argument to be made that you should only pay what is customary in the rental market, but showing what that is might be tricky.

As far as one-off repairs to the sewage system done by the property owner or the utility company, the property owner should ordinarily be responsible for those.

Licensed in Oregon. Advice provided is general information only and is based solely upon the facts provided. It is not intended as legal advice applicable to any specific situation. No attorney/client relationship is created unless and until we have met and entered into a written representation agreement. Contact me at 541-250-0542 to discuss your matter further. www.MaugerLaw.com

Landlord-tenant law topics