Are landlords responsible for reimbursing tenants for heating oil that remains after conversion from oil to gas heat?

Asked 4 months ago - Boston, MA

Your landlord decides to convert her three family property from oil furnaces to gas due to cracks inside two of the three furnaces. Is said landlord responsible for reimbursing the tenants for oil they paid for that is left in the tanks?

1. Thomas J Callahan

6

1

Answered . Actually not sure of the answer, but consider this: LL will have to have those tanks and the oil disposed of. To do so legally and properly will not be cheap. While I think she would have no legal basis to ask you to contribute to the disposal cost, why risk making an issue if she were to claim the oil needing disposal is "yours" and so should be disposed at your cost? Let sleeping dogs lie on this one.

2. Clarence Darrow Richardson Jr.

2

Answered . Another question that you would want to consider is what your landlord did with the oil, and how much oil was in the tank/when was the last time you had it filled? I think that you should try to determine the value of the oil and decide if that amount of money is worth the effort to try and recover. If you decide it is worth I would suggest talking to your landlord about it before filing in court.

3. Christopher W. Vaughn-Martel

1

Answered . My first thought is that you probably have the right to go and retrieve the oil you paid for. But how would you do that? What would you do with it?