Are interviews required in order to get unemployment benefits, and how intense are they?

Jamaica, NY |

I applied for unemployment benefits a couple of months after getting fired for misconduct ( reporting my boss for denying subpoena leave) and wrote that on the dept labor questionnaire. Three weeks later with out an interview, or even a phone call from them my claims were approved. This is my first time going on unemployment, so I'm not sure if it's supposed to be this easy. Could this lead to problems with the law?

The UI wages were directly deposited into my personal bank account, successfully. When I filled out the unemployment form online (NY), I marked "other" as the reason for getting fired. I was fired for acting in misconduct: I left a work shift early for a death in the family. I told my boss I had to leave and also asked him to call the number on my subpoena, because he said testimony leave was the reason I could not be promoted, and could only hold a position that had to be different in type of work from the others in the same title. I received a termination letter the next day for leaving early.

If you misrepresented anything on your application, it could be a problem for you later.

If you lied, it could be a problem. If you were truthful then your employer probably just chose not to challenge your benefits.

This answer does not constitute legal advice and you should contact an attorney to confirm or research further any statements made in this answer. Any statements of fact or law I have made in this answer pertain solely to New York State and should not be relied upon in any way in any other jurisdiction.