Are high school teachers allowed to throw away any papers with a students medical information on it?

Asked 6 months ago - Riverside, CA

My daughter gave her PE teacher a note from the doctor excusing her from PE for a week. When she gave it to him, he said, "Okay." and threw it away. This document had my daughters medical information on it and he just threw it away.

1. Golnar Sargeant

Answered . HIPAA applies to health care workers, not PE teachers. Even so, schools do try to keep student medical information as private as possible--the teacher didn't discuss the contents with anyone. I understand throwing it away makes it vulnerable to someone viewing it, but there is no law against the teacher throwing away the note. You can complain to the school.