Are Excise Taxes deductible on Schedule A, Itemized Deductions?

Jackson, MI |
Filed under: Tax law

If an Individual Itemizes deductions but doesn't have Schedule C.

What sort of excise taxes?

My answer does not constitute legal advice and may not be relied upon by anyone for any purpose and does not constitute an attorney/client relationship or an offer to form such a relationship. This disclaimer is intended to be fully compliant with the requirements of Treasury Department Circular 230 and the terms thereof are fully incorporated by reference. If you wish to consult with me please contact me at dana@nytaxcounsel or visit my website at

excise taxes such as the amount of tax included in the price of retail gasoline used for consumption for everyday use, not business. Line 5 of the Schedule A allows for state taxes such as vehicle registration for automobiles, trucks, vans, recreational vehicles, etc. Since the state adds an excise tax to the price of each gallon, isn't that deductible on the Federal Schedule A?

Dana Whitney Atchley

Dana Whitney Atchley

No, those taxes are not deductible on your Schedule A.

You question is not sufficiently detailed to allow a response, you should be consulting, with all of the details, with a business/tax attorney.

To the PROSPECTIVE client, please call myself or another attorney for your choice with more detaiils and an appointment. My PRELIMINARY answer to your question(s) is for general purposes and based upon what little information you have conveyed. It is based on such limited information that the general answer should never be relied as a reason for your action or inaction. My response does NOT establish an attorney-client relationship and such may only be established by mutual agreement, and the signing of a written retainer agreement, which will generally require payment for our services, as this is what we do for a living and, just like you, we must get paid for our work.. .

Tax law topics

Recommended articles about Tax law