Are employers required to give a 30 min lunch break for an 8 hour day?

Spring, TX |

I live in Texas and while I was reading this I didn't notice anything stating a lunch break was required. We usually work through the whole 8 hour day without breaks or lunch is this legal?

No requirement for a lunch break unless you work under an employment contract that says otherwise.

Neither Federal nor Texas law require employers to give employees breaks. If, however, the employee is unionized, his/her collective bargaining agreement may mandate break times. Additionally, if an employee requires breaks due to an established disability, he/she may be entitled to a reasonable accommodation under the Americans with Disabilities Act. I have posted, below, a link to the Department of Labor's web page regarding breaks.

Your question has been answered as a courtesy. This is not paid legal advice. Nothing in this communication is intended to create an attorney-client relationship. Unless expressly stated otherwise, nothing contained in this message should be construed as a digital or electronic signature, nor is it intended to reflect an intention to make an agreement by electronic means.

As the other Attorneys stated, there is no law that requires a lunch break. You may want to review your employee handbook. Your employer may have established a policy for breaks.

Recommended articles about Employment