Are employers obligated to provide paid vacation time to full time salaried employees in Florida

Lutz, FL |

I am a salaried full time chef and have worked for my employer for 9 months without taking any time off. I typically work at least 6 days a week and a minimum of 10 hours each day. I need to take 1 week off and have been told that I will not be compensated for my time off. If I was an hourly employee, getting paid for the 20 to 30 hours of overtime I do each week, I wouldn't have any issues.

There is no obligation of Florida employers to provide any paid vacation time. If they do provide vacation time, they need to provide it in a non-discriminatory fashion though. If other full-time employees get paid vacation, they can't deny you paid vacation based upon race, age, sex, national origin, etc. and it may also be considered an employee benefit that you're entitled to if you meet the criteria.