Are designation of attorney and letters of appointment necessary to gain pod account information for the beneficiary?

Asked over 1 year ago - Cape Coral, FL

I asked a bank in florida if my deceased grandmom left a pod account for me, my sister and dad but a person from deposit operations is asking for a designation of attorney and letters of appointment for them to provide that confidential information, but the thing is we are not in good terms with the personal representative. The personal representative told us that we were named as beneficiaries of a bank account but refused to tell us which bank it was. The only papers I can present is the living trust with my name on it as one of the heirs (real estate property), trustee's deed, death certificate and our identification (passports, visa etc).

1. 3

Answered . If the bank is asking for letters of administration-a POD beneficiary does not exist.

2. 4

Answered . If you were the beneficiary of the account, the bank would almost certainly tell you. I believe what they are telling you is that you are NOT the beneficiary of the account at that bank. It is likely it would be part of the estate. I would send a written request for information to the personal representative.

James Frederick

3. 3

Answered . Pay on Death designations will merely require the identification of of the Payee. A Letter Testamentary pertains to a Probate Case. Sit down with an Estate Planning attorney. Take your documents with you for the consultation. See Avvo.com under Find-A-Lawyer. Good Luck!