Are Criminal Records Public? Can any one request & view them? I would like to offer this service as part of my business?

Imperial, CA |

How can incorporate this service as part of my business if is legal to do it?
Who do I contact first to start? THANKS!

Criminal records are public.

But, the government not a private business controls them.

Find a differing line of work.

If you go to the clerk's office of a courthouse in California and as to view an individual case, there is a lot of material that will be removed from the case before you are allowed to view it. That includes all material with a victim's address or identifying info and arrest and investigative reports. The docket is visible and most case material pertaining to status of the case.

It is hard to offer you any specific insight without understanding the nature of the value to clients in the service you propose to offer. There are already many well-funded and established firms and vendors that do background checks and other info reporting.

No legal advice here. READ THIS BEFORE you contact me! My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by joint execution of a written agreement for legal services. My law firm does not provide free consultations. Please do not call or write to me with a “few questions” that require me to analyze the specific facts of your history and your license application and prescribe for you how to get a State license. Send me an email to schedule a paid Consultation for that kind of information, direction, and assistance. My law firm presently accepts cases involving State and federal licenses and permits; discipline against State and federal licenses; and disciplinary and academic challenges to universities, colleges, boarding schools, and private schools. We take cases of wrongful termination or employment discrimination only if the claims involve peace officers, universities or colleges.

Many employment agencies have people literally sitting in the business offices at court on call to conduct background checks on people. Yes they are public record. Jurisdictions differ in what information is released to the public, i.e. mugshots and arrests. However, the basic information ad procedural history for each case is readily available at any courthouse in California, absent a court order to seal.

Please feel free to call Attorney Peter Blair for a FREE consultation. (619) 525-7005. Law Office of Vikas Bajaj, APC, specializing in Southern California Criminal Defense.