Are companys required to give you a hard copy going over company policies?

Asked about 2 years ago - Los Angeles, CA

I have been working for this company for two and a half months. We don't have an HR department, just an accountant who handles HR related situations. Since the first day I have been hired they have been telling me different things regarding benefits. I had to hunt down the girl after two weeks to even go over things with me and what she had told me was different than what my boss had explained to me when I was hired. I am salary, and they deducted 6 hours of pay when i had to leave early on two occassions. They said I am on probabtion so they can deduct the money, and I can make doctors appointments on the weekend. I asked for a hard copy of all the company policies and they continue to ignore me. I don't have anyone looking out for me, the employee. What should I do?

1. Michael Robert Kirschbaum

Answered . Many small companies do not have written personnel policies or a person trained to address personnel issues. Start-ups and family run companies often don't have the resources or knowledge to afford these and there is no law which requires them to do so. As companies grow, it becomes more important but some of these businesses are slow to catch on. It is very dangerous for them because they do not know the myriad of laws that affect them and it is not until someone files a claim or lawsuit that they realize the seriousness of their mistake or poor judgment.

Your employer's explanation that they can deduct the hours you missed because you are on probation, is a perfect example of this. They are wrong. If you are truly a salaried employee, they cannot deduct the hours for when you left early for a doctor's appointment. It leads me to suspect there may be other violations of your rights, as well.

I suggest you invest in a consultation with an experienced employment law attorney who would be able to examine the entire nature of your employment relationship for an opinion as to what this employer is doing right and wrong and to advise you on what options you have to address these issues.