Are child support orders firm as to arrears, or is the parties' intent to be considered?

Asked 7 months ago - Los Angeles, CA

I'm a father with 50/50 physical custody; before filing for custody modification in 2012, my time was around 20/80. My ex recently went on social services, and the county has filed for support from me. I discovered that, concluding the case in pro per, I failed to get a modified child support order when we settled custody (we went to 50/50 and agreed to no support). Now that the county is involved, are they going to charge me arrears in strict accordance with the last order on file ($400/month), or will they consider our intent to waive support? She and I are both pretty broke and amicable, and she's not asking for any. Thank you so much for your time.

1. Jeffrey Scott Drabin

2

Answered . The County will enforce the existing order for support - what you may have "intended" will be of little interest to the County not withstanding whatever story both you and the other parent may tell them.