Are child custody lawyer fees tax deductible?

New York, NY |

My wife recently obtained a lawyer to file for sole custody of her kids from her ex husband. They have had joint custody for several years and just recently went for sole.

Are these legal fees tax deductible?

Generally speaking, no. She may under certain circumstances file an application to have the other side reimburse her counsel fees. On the tax issue, I suggest you consult an accountant for a more definitive opinion. On the counsel fee issue, I encourage you to schedule a consultation with a NYC Child Custody lawyer.

* If you found my answer to be helpful, or the "best answer," please feel free to mark it accordingly.

2. Legal fees generally are not deductible.

It is always advisable to contact an attorney. For a consultation, please contact my office at 516-669-3295. We are located in West Babylon, NY and proudly offer very low rates and free consultations. <a href="http://www.LouisLSternbergLaw.com">Please visit us on the web.</a>

3. No not tax deductible.

If this answer is helpful, then please mark the helpful button. If this is the best answer, then please indicate it. Thanks. For further information you should see an attorney and discuss the matter completely. If you are in the New York City area, then you can reach me during normal business hours at 718 329 9500 or www.mynewyorkcitylawyer.com.