Are both parties obligated to participate in an unemployment appeal hearing ?

Asked 7 months ago - Corona, CA

I just had an unemployment appeal hearing because original decision has denied me the benefits and I was the only person present in front of the judge.
Does it mean the other party has decided not to participate or each party appears separately?
Does it benefit me in any way that the other party didn't show up ?

1. Michael Robert Kirschbaum

4

Best Answer

Answered . Sometimes, the denial of benefits is not because the employer has challenged it. It could be the intake worker formed an incorrect opinion based on what he or she was informed. Other times, the employer simply may not think it is worth the time, effort and money to attend a hearing to fight the claim. It happens where the employer does not show up. This does not mean you automatically win. You still have to convince the ALJ you meet all the eligibility criteria. Of course, it makes it much easier to do so when there is no direct testimony to refute your testimony. Good luck.

2. Daniel Michael Holzman

Pro

4

Answered . The employer doesn't need to participate in the live hearing if they don't want to. Of course it benefits you because your testimony has not been challenged.

3. Patrick John Phillips

3

Answered . The employer doesn't need to participate. While this makes it more likely you will win since your testimony will go unchallenged, you still need to convince the EDD that you satisfy all the criteria for benefits. Your employer not appearing doesn't guarantee approval of your claim.