Are back dues & assessments owed to an HOA by an owner recoverable by escrow alone when sold, or is a lien needed?

The dues and assessments are owed by an estate of a deceased owner. Will the amount owed be recovered by reporting the amounts owed to the escrow company alone or does the HOA need to also place a lien.

I suspect that the lender or owner's title company will require an estoppel certificate from the HOA prior to closing. The certificate will not issue by the HOA unless past-due dues are paid and a provision is made for their payment in escrow.

I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. Answers provided by me are for general information only. They are not legal advice. Answers must not be relied upon. Legal advice must be based on the interplay between specific exact facts and the law. This forum does not allow for the discussion of that interplay. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if that interplay were explored during an attorney-client relationship. I provide legal advice during the course of an attorney-client relationship only. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such a relationship. That relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged or confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice in answer to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an attorney for legal advice. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference

Thank you.

Thank you.

I agree with the response above, however, it is also a good idea to record a lien. This is an easy process and should assure the payment of the lien amount.

I am not your attorney and this response is for educational purposes only. Consult your lawyer if you need assistance.

I am not your lawyer, and I am giving you this information to help you find a lawyer. Do not rely on this information. Consult a lawyer.

Thank you. We find both answers helpful and will file a lien just as a matter of caution.