Are back dues & assessments owed to an HOA by an owner recoverable by escrow alone when sold, or is a lien needed?

Asked over 1 year ago - Los Angeles, CA

The dues and assessments are owed by an estate of a deceased owner. Will the amount owed be recovered by reporting the amounts owed to the escrow company alone or does the HOA need to also place a lien.

1. Thomas Logan Watters

2

1

Answered . I agree with the response above, however, it is also a good idea to record a lien. This is an easy process and should assure the payment of the lien amount.

I am not your attorney and this response is for educational purposes only. Consult your lawyer if you need assistance.

2. Michael Raymond Daymude

Answered . I suspect that the lender or owner's title company will require an estoppel certificate from the HOA prior to closing. The certificate will not issue by the HOA unless past-due dues are paid and a provision is made for their payment in escrow.