Are attorneys concerned about their stereotype?

Knoxville, TN |

I get the impression attorneys are defensive of each other's ethics, no matter how sleazy any of them are. The general public seems to view attorneys as being one of the sleaziest professions. I would think attorneys would want to weed out the bad apples to get a better image for attorneys in general, with the general public. But whenever I talk to an attorney about another attorney's ethics, that attorney becomes defensive, as if I were complaining about his own ethics. Can anyone explain that enough to make sense of it?

1. People often become defensive when someone is speaking about them, it is simple human nature.

2. Well, first, the attorney may regard what you're saying as one-sided, biased or gossip. If the latter, it may get back to the attorney who is being spoken of.

Second, what you are saying might or might not be a ethical issue or violation. Sometimes it may just be an attorney who is doing a good job and playing by the rules, but he is just a lightening rod for criticism because he is representing his client well. For instance, in most matrimonial actions, the clients hate each others lawyers and think they are unethically playing "hardball", when in fact they are doing the client's business.

Third, attorneys have a very strict and well-defined set of rules to determine what is ethical: the difference between a "fair ball" and a "foul ball", "penalty" or "hitting below the belt" to use a sports analogy. A contested litigation matter is a brawl hopefully conducted according to civilized rules with civility and courtroom decorum, but a brawl nonetheless. Many laypeople don't understand the rules or how they work and apply. We answer dozens of these questions on this website, and surprisingly, many things people perceive as ethical violations simply aren't.

Lastly, no one is going to agree with a broad brush, derogatory term like "sleazy". And if there are some "sleazy" characters, attorneys aren't the only occupation with "bad apples in the barrel" and no morals, ethics or a selfish, unempathetic or psychopathic psychology.

Unfortunately, to read the newspapers, this kind of "what's in for me" thinking rather than altruism or orientation for what's good for the community or nation is unfortunately pervasive in this culture at the present time, especially at the highest levels of business, government, the military and even academia. Very few occupations are viewed positively by the majority of the public.

This answer is provided under the Avvo.com “Terms and Conditions of Use” (“ToU”), particularly ¶9 which states that any information provided is not intended as legal advice or to create an attorney-client relationship between you and me or any other attorney. Such information is intended for general informational purposes and should be used only as a starting point for addressing your legal issues. In particular, my answers and those of other attorneys on Avvo.com are not a substitute for an in-person or telephone consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in your jurisdiction about your specific legal issue. I can only answer your question based on the brief statement of facts you present in your question which may omit other relevant facts which would be disclosed in an in-person interview. While I attempt to provide reasonable care in answering your questions in an online forum which encourages attorneys to provide brief "off the cuff" responses within several hours of the posting of a question, I cannot perform any further detailed legal research concerning possibly relevant statutory or case law which might apply to your situation that I would normally do in the course of my representation of clients where an attorney-client relationship exists (and you are paying for my services!). You should therefore not rely solely upon legal information you obtain from this website or other resources which may be linked to an answer for informational purposes. You understand that questions and answers or other postings to the Site are not confidential and are not subject to attorney-client privilege. The full Avvo ToU are set forth at http://www.avvo.com/support/terms . In addition, while similar legal principles often apply in many states, I am only licensed to practice in the State of New York and Federal Courts. Any general information I provide about non-New York laws should be checked with an attorney licensed to practice in your State. Lastly, New York State Court rules (22 NYCRR Part 1200, Rule 7.1, available online at http://jackle.bo/_prof ) also require me to inform you that my answers and attorney profile posted on the Avvo.com site may be considered "attorney advertising" and that "prior results do not guarantee a similar outcome".

3. You have asked a great question. All attorneys care about how the public views attorneys. Media makes attorneys look unsavory like the lawyer in Breaking Bad. As to your question about other lawyers ethics. I think most lawyers won't comment because they have not heard the other side of the story.

4. Clients often describe any behavior they don't like as " unethical." But aggressive, hard-nosed, or stubborn tactics aren't necessarily unethical. So yes, we defend other attorneys who fight hard for their clients, because doing so isn't always "unethical."