Are armed robbery considered an assault

Westland, MI |

I was held at gun point on the floor during a robbery and my purse was taking. Would this be consider an assault as well and is this considered a felony?

1. Armed robbery is a felony punishable by up to life in prison. Yes, said conduct would constitute an assault as "assault" covers a wide variety of actions. Kind regards, Steve.

My answer should be construed as general information only, and it should not be considered legal advice. No attorney-client relationship with me has been created until I have signed a retainer agreement. Please contact my office at 586-268-2400 for a free initial consultation.

2. Each crime is defined according to various elements. Armed robbery includes stealing property by use or threat of armed force. There exists another felony, known as Felonious Assault, which involves the use or threat of unjustified force with a dangerous weapon. Essentially "armed robbery" is a felonious assault in which something is stolen from the victim. It is not likely that a person would be charged with both armed robbery and felonious assault, because the felonious assault is part of the armed robbery. But, strictly speaking, armed robbery is a form of assault that is considered a felony.

Please note that we do not have an attorney/client relationship and will not unless and until we expressly agree to create one in writing through the signing of a retainer agreement and my acceptance of a retainer fee. The information provided above is intended for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for the advice of an attorney that can only be provided after a thorough in person consultation.

3. Armed robbery is a felony. Yes, it is considered an assaultive offense. However, the assaultive component merges into the robbery and is what in fact makes the crime a robbery.