Are armed robbery considered an assault

Asked over 1 year ago - Westland, MI

I was held at gun point on the floor during a robbery and my purse was taking. Would this be consider an assault as well and is this considered a felony?

1. Joel David Kershaw

Pro

2

Answered . Each crime is defined according to various elements. Armed robbery includes stealing property by use or threat of armed force. There exists another felony, known as Felonious Assault, which involves the use or threat of unjustified force with a dangerous weapon. Essentially "armed robbery" is a felonious assault in which something is stolen from the victim. It is not likely that a person would be charged with both armed robbery and felonious assault, because the felonious assault is part of the armed robbery. But, strictly speaking, armed robbery is a form of assault that is considered a felony.

2. Steven Andrew Hilton

1

Answered . Armed robbery is a felony punishable by up to life in prison. Yes, said conduct would constitute an assault as "assault" covers a wide variety of actions. Kind regards, Steve.

3. Ronald S. Pichlik

Answered . Armed robbery is a felony. Yes, it is considered an assaultive offense. However, the assaultive component merges into the robbery and is what in fact makes the crime a robbery.