Are any parts of small claims cases recorded in a standardized manner and available for public review?

Chicago, IL |

I'm curious if county clerks are required to keep publicly accessible records of small claims cases. If they are not, shouldn't this all be a matter of public record, being that it's in the public interest, occurs in a court of law, and is funded by the public?

Courts are facing unprecedented financial cutbacks, and yes, these are matters of public interest, but the public's free to observe the suits live, and these public matters are by definition, "small" so they've never had the access to documents and proceedings that higher courts cases have.

That said, in CA, small claims cases do appear on public searches for records of individuals and entities.

Avvo doesn't pay us for these responses, and I'm not your lawyer just because I answer this question or respond to any follow-up comments. If you want to hire me, please contact me. Otherwise, please don't expect a further response. We need an actual written agreement to form an attorney-client relationship. I'm only licensed in CA and you shouldn't rely on this answer, since each state has different laws, each situation is fact specific, and it's impossible to evaluate a legal problem without a comprehensive consultation and review of all the facts and documents at issue.

No

You should check with the court clerk's office of the small claims court you are concerned with and see what records they keep? You can usually get a copy of the summons and complaint, answer, any cross-complaint, judgment, and satisfaction of judgment but that would be about it?

Legal disclaimer:This message does not constitute legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. Any statements are made for general informational purposes and do not constitute legal advice. No attorney-client privilege is created by this communication. Attorney is licensed in California only.