Are any additional forms needed to be filed when adopting a newborn relative in another state?

Asked 9 months ago - Mabank, TX

Our nephew will be born in December, we have been asked by both parents to adopt the baby once it is born. We have found forms to be filed online; however, since we are in a separate state (they are in Florida and we are in Texas) we cant find any information on whether other forms are required. From what I have researched it should be a fairly simple process since all parties are in agreement.

1. Robert Sterling Guest

Pro

Answered . Below is information on Texas adoptions, although I think you would need a Florida lawyer to assist on this. Being asked by parents to adopt does not mean a court will grant an adoption. The court can appoint a lawyer for the child, and require a home study etc. You must also terminate the parental rights of the mother and father, which can be a challenge as well.

2. Robert Gardale Hatley

Answered . There a couple of things to consider. It can be a simple process, but with an out of state placement you'd need to make sure things are handled properly. Depending on the relationship between you guys you may or may not have to go through the ICPC offices in Florida and in Texas. An adoption attorney should be consulted first to make sure all the requirements are being met so there can be as smooth a transition and finalization as possible.

3. Arthur Richard Troell III

1

Answered . You need to speak to a Florida Adoption Attorney. The process for the adoption of the child will be controlled by the state of residence of the mother at the time of birth.

While there are truncated proceedures in Florida for relative and step-parent adoptions, adoptions are highly regulated and I would not recommend proceeding without an attorney who specializes in adoption or a licensed adoption agency in the state of Florida.

Good luck to you.