Are all your student loans supposed to be in deferement or forbearance, so you can finish school under chapter 13 bankruptcy?

Belzoni, MS |

I have some loan that says paid in full, deferement, or default. Even though, some loans were in default aren't those loans supposed to be defered, cancelled, or go into forbearance? I am currently enrolled at a univeristy, but they say that my account is on hold because of the lender. I have contacted the lender and my lawyer well the assistant and I am getting the run around. I told them that the I am under bankruptcy and need to get back into school, but I need some help. I am thinking about looking for another lawyer because I am doing everything. I also mentioned the unemployment status and the fact that the bankruptcy is causing my family and I economic hardship. Thanking you in advance for your advice.

I think you are asking if you can continue to apply for student loans while you are in a Chapter 13, and you should be able to do this provided you obtain proper permission from your Trustee and the Court. Hope this perspective helps!

2. Aside from the fact that the situation doesn't make that much sense...if you are unemployed, heading back to school, how (why) are you in a chapter 13 bankruptcy (monthly payment plan). In any event, your chapter 13 BK trumps any other possible student loan status. Basically, your loans are in bankruptcy hold.

I think you best get with another lawyer and start sorting through your issues. Something has gone off the tracks based on what you described so it is time to reevaluate your best option.