Are a spouses school loans considered community property?

Asked over 2 years ago - Los Angeles, CA

Hello,

I am contemplating divorce and I wanted to know if school loans acquired during the course of our relationship are considered community property? Will I have to pay them? He is in school. I am the one that works.

1. Cathleen Elisabeth Norton

Pro

1

Best Answer

Answered . Generally speaking, if the school loans were acquired recently then they will be confirm to your husband as his separate property debt.

The more critical concern for you is whether you would have to pay him spousal support since you were the "breadwinner" in the relationship.

Since there may be other issues you may not even be aware of, you probably should consult with a family law attorney to do some pre-divorce planning. I have included some links below which may prove helpful to you as you decide what to do. Good luck in whatever decision you make.

2. Donald Frederick Conviser

1

1

Answered . Your husband will be required by the Court to pay his own school loans. They are not treated as community obligations. He got and will continue to receive the benefit of those loans after the divorce is completed.