Approximately how much would it cost to pay an attorney to finalize a divorce where assets are being concealed?

My soon to be ex husband is hidding big assets. He has put everything under his mother's name. I am only interested in a fair child support settlement and no necessarily his business of cars etc. But he doesnt even want to do that! How much is it going to cost me to hire a good attorney and get this behind me? I know I know its hard to say, but I do need an idea, I just don't want to start something I can't finish with an attorney.
By the way, I have proof of his high life style and the fact that he is a signatory in the business account.

I would suggest either contacting the Bar Association in your county to get a referral to a Family Law attorney or contacting several Family Law attorneys in your area to see how much an average initial retainer is.

Your case sounds complicated, so it is likely to be costly, as it will probably involve a lot of discovery demands, sending subpoenas, etc. However, if you can prove that your husband is deliberately hiding his assets, your attorney will be able to request that your husband pay for a portion of your attorney fees. In addition, even if you can't prove that, if your husband earns significantly more than you do, he can be ordered to pay a portion of your attorney fees under Family Code 2030, which provides that the higher earning party pays for a portion of the lower earning party's fees.

No way to answer your question accurately. Call your county bar association and ask for a referral.

READ THIS BEFORE CALLING OR EMAILING ME: I am licensed to practice before the state and federal courts in Virginia. Addressing your issue does not create an attorney-client relationship and I AM NOT providing you legal advice. You should speak with an attorney to whom you have provided all the facts, before you take steps that may impact your legal rights. I am not obligated to answer subsequent emails or phone calls unless you have hired me. I wish you the best of luck with your situation.

If you only want support, and nothing else, you need to know his and your income. If you have that, the DA will represent you for free.
If you want to know about the assess, the least expensive route is to hire a private detective to do an asset search. Then do your disclosures and ask about anything that is missing.
A good attorney in Los Angeles will cost between $300 and $700/hour, but most of them can use other staff for much of the work. How much your case costs depends on how long you want to fight. How much you will pay depends on how generous the court is in awarding you attorneys fees. An ordinary motion often costs around $4000 to do all the related work before & after the hearing. You may need many hearings. If the assets are valuable, you may get reimbursed at the end. It depends on the judge.
Good luck, Susan Jeffries, Alameda

This is not confidential advice and I am not your attorney until we have had a confidential consultation by phone or in the office.

Recommended articles about Family law