Appointed Counsel for indigent civil litigants

Asked over 1 year ago - Orlando, FL

I was researching to try and find out if civil litigants, who are deemed indigent by the court, have a right to Appointed counsel. It seems this is on a case by case and only if certain personal liberties are at stake. So my question is "If I am being sued, and the outcome of the suit would result in someone taking away my right to freedom of speech, and a part of the civil case is also a crime (defamation, libel, slander, etc..) do I have a right to appointed counsel and if so, how do I get a court to appoint one for me"

1. Harrison Wesley Poole

2

Answered . You need to contact your local bar association or legal aide organization. Many of these organizations offer pro bono services to indigent clients. Unless you have been charged with a crime, you do not have the right to a court appointed attorney.

2. Ryan Michael Davidson

Pro

1

Best Answer

Answered . No. There is no constitutional right to appointed counsel in civil cases, and I am not aware of any state or local jurisdiction which provides such counsel.

There may be attorneys that may be willing to voluntarily accept the case on a pro bono basis, there is no mechanism for having such counsel appointed by the court.

As to your specific theory, unless you're being sued by the state or a state actor, defamation suits are not generally considered to abridge the freedom of speech. Further, the question is not whether "certain personal liberties are at stake," it's whether the case is criminal or civil. If it's criminal, you have the right to an attorney, and one will be appointed if you cannot afford one. If it's civil, if you cannot afford an attorney, you will have to do without.

This answer does not constitute legal advice and does not establish an attorney-client relationship.
  3. Clifford M. Miller

Pro

Answered . There is no right to appointed counsel in a civil case.

You might want to contact legal aid to see if you meet its criteria for the appointment of a lawyer to help you.