Skip to main content

Applying Green Card for Dad. What is in lieu for Marriage Certificate?

Chicago, IL |

My brother who is US citizen is applying Green Card for Dad. The US citizenship website mentions need for marriage certificate. My dad says when he married registration was not necessary and he does not have a marriage certificate. Also my mother has passed away. How should he apply for my dad's green card?

The marriage was in rural south India in the 1960s. It was a hindu marriage. My dad and mother could have obtained joint loans. could documents for those be useful?

Attorney Answers 3


He needs proof that he was married to your mother. Affidavits or other evidence may suffice, or church records. You can check the documentary requirements using the US State Department reciprocity tables.

The above is intended only as general information, and does not constitute legal advice. You must speak with an attorney to discuss your individual case.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees


Find out where, when and how they got married. Perhaps something was filed with the local courthouse and you could still get a copy - depending on where you're from, they keep those types of records forever. If it was a religious ceremony, see if anything was put in writing to evidence the marriage. You may need to provide secondary evidence such as witness affidavits, pictures, etc. but I would not do anything without the personal advice of an immigration attorney.

This advice does not form an attorney-client relationship and is merely informative. It should not by itself be relied upon to address a legal concern.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees


You must submit all required documents with the explanation as required for their absence during the application process.

DISCLAIMER The answer given above by the lawyer serves for educational purposes only and provides general information and basic understanding of the applicable law. Take notice that the answer above does not create an attorney-client relationship as this website is not intended to provide anyone a specific legal advice. Anyone using the site expressly consents that there is no attorney client privilege between any person and any attorney responding. Further take notice that the site should not be used as a crude substitute for any professionally competent legal advice by a licensed professional attorney in the applicable jurisdiction. The attorney above attempted to provide a competent professional opinion, however, the law and its applications change frequently and vary greatly from other U.S. jurisdictions and locales. Therefore, any information and opinions expressed are general in nature, and may not apply to specific, factual or legal circumstances related to one's present legal issues. Contact an experienced lawyer admitted to practice in that State under an attorney-client privilege to further receive comprehensive legal assistance before making an educated decision about your particular legal issue. Respectfully, Attorney Alexander Ivakhnenko, Chicago, Illinois

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees

Marriage and prenups topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics