Applying Green Card for Dad. What is in lieu for Marriage Certificate?

Asked 7 months ago - Chicago, IL

My brother who is US citizen is applying Green Card for Dad. The US citizenship website mentions need for marriage certificate. My dad says when he married registration was not necessary and he does not have a marriage certificate. Also my mother has passed away. How should he apply for my dad's green card?

The marriage was in rural south India in the 1960s. It was a hindu marriage. My dad and mother could have obtained joint loans. could documents for those be useful?

1. Stephen D. Berman

1

Answered . He needs proof that he was married to your mother. Affidavits or other evidence may suffice, or church records. You can check the documentary requirements using the US State Department reciprocity tables.

2. Alexander M. Ivakhnenko

1

Answered . You must submit all required documents with the explanation as required for their absence during the application process.

3. Gunda Johanna Brost

Pro

1

Answered . Find out where, when and how they got married. Perhaps something was filed with the local courthouse and you could still get a copy - depending on where you're from, they keep those types of records forever. If it was a religious ceremony, see if anything was put in writing to evidence the marriage. You may need to provide secondary evidence such as witness affidavits, pictures, etc. but I would not do anything without the personal advice of an immigration attorney.