Applying Green Card during EAD/OPT, can I still stay in the US legally after EAD expires?

Asked over 1 year ago - Redwood City, CA

Hi. I'm holding a f-1 visa, and graduated December 2012. I got my EAD card a month ago. It says I can start working on Mar. 12, 2013.
If I don't get a job offer by Jun. 12, I think I'm supposed to depart the U.S.
Meanwhile, my partner (U.S. citizen) and I are considering getting married, and then apply for Green Card. I know it takes time to process. Say that I submit the application on April 20th, and I get no job offer at all. What happens after Jun.12, when I have used up my 90-day unemployment days? Can I still legally stay in the U.S. after Jun.12, waiting for the approval? Am I supposed to go back to my home country and wait for the visa or card? When do you think would be the best time to apply for Green Card? Thanks!

1. Igor A. Voloshen

5

Best Answer

Answered . If you and your US citizens significant other get married and file for an adjustment of status, you will not be violating the law by staying in the United States because you will be "in process" to adjust. There is no "best time" to apply for adjustment of status -- the best time is the time you get married and are capable of applying via I-485 for adjustment of status. As part of that application you may also submit an I-765 to obtain another EAD extension. I think consulting a competent immigration to help you through the process may be very valuable to you.

2. Sameera Sani

4

1

Answered . I agree with the posted answers. You will not have to depart the US on June 12, 2013 assuming you have a correctly filed and pending green card application prior to that. I highly reocommend you do not file the green card application by yourself.

3. Gintare Grigaite

5

Answered . Since you entered US legally through inspection, and since your future spouse is a US citizen, and provided you are otherwise eligible for adjustment of status, you may remain in the US while going through the adjustment of status process. Nevertheless, I would highly recommend that you hire an experienced immigration lawyer to assist you with the process.

4. Alexander Joseph Segal

4

Answered . I concur