Applying for US Citizenship with DUI

Asked over 1 year ago - Seattle, WA

Good day, I have a DUI last year and I want to file a US citizenship. Is this be a problem for me to get a US Citizebship? What will I gonna do?

1. Carl Michael Shusterman

Pro

16

Answered . It should not be a problem unless you are on probation.

Please click the link at the very bottom for additional information.

---------
    Carl Shusterman, Esq.
    Former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82)
    Board Certified Immigration Attorney (1986 - Present)
    Schedule a Legal Consultation - Telephonic, Skype or In-Person
    https://shusterman.com/intake-secure.html
    600 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 1550
    Los Angeles, CA 90017
    (213) 394-4554 x0
    Web: www.shusterman.com (English)
    www.inmigracion-abogado.com (Spanish)

2. Lisa Ellen Seifert

Pro

8

Answered . I think you should wait five years from the date of your conviction, at least in Seattle, that is what they would expect. You have to have a perfectly clean record during the five year period preceding your application..... DUI is not a moral turpitude crime, but it does tarnish your record. Of course, you cannot be on probation when you apply... or when you have your interview.

This is general advice, and does not constitute an attorney client relationship.
  3. Ji Min Kim

Pro

7

Answered . Make sure you are not on probation before applying. DUI is not a crime of moral turpitude in WA (assuming you got the DUI ticket in Washington). But for the probation issue, you can apply.

4. Giacomo Jacques Behar

Pro

8

Answered . You have to wait until you are no longer on probation before applying . You cannot be granted citizenship if you are under any type of probationary period.

5. Ingrid Arnalda Morfa

7

Answered . I agree with my colleagues. Make sure that when you apply you have a copy of the certificate of disposition. I recommend applying with the help of an attorney.