Applying for US Citizenship after I-360 VAWA application was approved and not divorced yet.

Asked over 3 years ago - Los Angeles, CA

Good Day! I was in an abusive marriage and got my PR in 2008. I do not keep in touch with my wife at all. We separated in 2007. There has been no contact with her at all and I moved from NJ to CA. We have not filed for divorce yet and I will so do this year.
I am eligible to file for naturalization now and was wondering if it is mandatory to file for a divorce for approved VAWA applicants to get approved for citizenship or is this something CIS recognizes that is between two people.
Will they wonder why I have not divorced her yet?
Thanks!

1. J. Richard Kulerski

Answered . I recommend that you redirect your question to Avvo's immigration attorneys. It has more to do with citizenship than it does with divorce.

2. Alexandra Vera Tseitlin

Answered . You are eligible to file for naturalization 4 years and 9 months after you received your conditional or permanent residence status. After this period of time, it is not essential to be divorced.