Applying for residency on behalf of children already residing in the US.

Asked 10 months ago - Sarasota, FL

Is there a special law allowing permanent residents to apply for residency for their under 21, unmarried children who are currently living in the US? My in-laws recently received their permanent residency, but are still not citizens. I was told that when they have their citizenship they can apply for residency on behalf of their daughters, but not until then. Today they said they talked to somebody and were told there is a "special law" allowing for them to apply for residency on behalf of their one daughter who is 19 and currently lives in the US without having to send her back to Mexico. Is there any truth to what they were told? I just don't want to see them lose any money by applying for something that won't happen.

1. Giacomo Jacques Behar

Pro

3

Answered . Yes, provided the kids are in lawful, valid status and the are in lawful status and the petitions are received at USCIS on or before September 30, 2013.

2. Stephen D. Berman

1

Answered . Yes, if the children are in lawful status and they file before September 30, 2013.

3. Ksenia Alexandrovna Maiorova

1

Answered . You have not provided enough information to answer your question. We would need to know the current immigration status of the children in question, how they entered the US, etc. Your best bet is to have a private consultation with an immigration attorney.