Applying for permanent Green Card after 2 years of marriage. We have two addresses

Jersey City, NJ |

My husband and I use two addresses for our things. We have a residential address where we have our bills sent to etc. and our mailing address where the things that are important like bank correspondence etc. We have this mailing address because our mail is not safe at the residential address. I am about to apply for permanent green card. However, I don't know how to do it because our e.g. FIOS bill shows residential address while bank statement or taxes are for mailing address (everywhere both our names though). Would this be a problem?

Is that the same situation you had when you originally received your CR or did you move and this is a new situation?

It can be a problem if they don't believe you live together.

My answering this question does not form an attorney-client relationship. Always retain a qualified attorney before taking any action.

This is a new situation. We moved to Jersey City now and there is a problem with our mailbox - we lost some important documents and my husband set up this mailing address.

Justin G. Randolph

Justin G. Randolph

They may ask you to explain the situation. They look for reasonable explanations of things that are outside of the check boxes they operate in.

Yes, this could be a problem and will most likely cause delay and they may require an interview.

You would be wise to have an attorney assist with preparing the document kit and letter of explanation.

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship.

Technically, there is nothing wrong with having a home address and a mailing address. However, it will raise a red flag to USCIS that you are not actually living together and will get heavy scrutiny of your application and evidence. Given how important the two-year review is you should use a lawyer to make sure you have enough evidence and it is packaged in a way that USCIS will understand what is going on.

Is the address a P.O. Box or just a different address?

This is not legal advice and a client attorney relationship is not created. For a free consultation call (718)234-5588.

P.O. box

Irene Vaisman

Irene Vaisman

Then I would say its not a problem. I have had this on many of my cases. The form asks for the house address and the mailing address. Everything can be explained if need be. But this is typical especially when people have problem with their mail. Good luck to you. If you found my answer helpful, kindly mark it so.

I don't see this as a problem. I am assuming both your names are on both addresses.

Please be advised my answers to questions does not constitute legal advise and you should not rely on it, due to the fact that we have never met, I have not been aprised of the facts in you case nor have I reviewed any documents.

It depends. Is it a pob or a second home? Do you both live in both? One has to look at all your facts and then evaluate. This question requires context. Consult with an immigration attorney before applying

Andres Mejer 9 Memorial Parkway, suite B Long branch, NJ 07740 220 Third Street Lakewood, NJ 08701 732-962-1805 www.AndresMejerLaw.com

Tax law topics